How to: Water Marble Manicure

For this week’s Nail Of The Week post I though I’d do a tutorial style post as I’m doing something different with my nails!

I’m going to Melbourne tomorrow (Saturday) for a few days with my mum to celebrate my 21st which was in May, so I thought I’d glam up my nails a bit!

Follow the following steps to achieve water marbled nails!

1. Apply a base coat and a coat or 2 of your desired base colour. I chose China Glaze ‘For Audrey’.

IMG_2356

2. Put 3 sections of sticky tape around the nail as close to the nail as possible. Put the bottom one on first, followed by the sides. The sticky tape prevents nail polish getting all over your skin when you put your nail in the water.

IMG_2352

3. Fill a small cup/container with room temperature water. Dot each nail polish colour into the water. You only need 1 drop of each! I chose Sally Hansen ‘Blue me away!’, China Glaze ‘Frostbite’ and Sally Hansen ‘Pacific Blue’.

IMG_2358

IMG_2353

4. Taking a toothpick, drag from outside the outer polish ring into the centre in any pattern you choose.

IMG_2354

5. Put your nail face down into whichever section you like the best and hold there for approximately 20 seconds.

IMG_2355

6. Before you take your finger out, use the toothpick to get rid off the excess nail polish on the water. It should glob onto the toothpick easily as it forms a film on the surface of the water. It is important to get rid of the film before doing your next nail, otherwise the nail polish won’t separate out on the surface of the water.

7. Take your finger out and repeat the process for all remaining nails. Then allow the polish to dry before removing the sticky tape (carefully!). Then apply a top coat if you wish. Make sure your nails are completely dry before using a top coat or it may mess up all your hard work!

Here’s what my nails turned out like

IMG_2364

IMG_2360

I love the look of marble nails, but it is a time consuming process!

Have you ever tried water marble nails? What do you think of them?

If you have any questions, comments or requests please leave them below!

Kate

Advertisements

28 thoughts on “How to: Water Marble Manicure

1. shopping says:

I just like the valuable info you provide in your articles.

I’ll bookmark your weblog and check once more here frequently.
    I’m slightly sure I will be informed a lot of new stuff proper here!
    Good luck for the following!

2. terribell85 says:

Reblogged this on Head Shoulders Knees & Toes and commented:
    I love following bloggers who share the cool things they find… my friend over at http://amriaa.wordpress.com/ who does fabulous things with makeup shared this and so I decided to share it as well because it’s simply too fantastic not to share and not to try!! I will definitely be doing this as soon as I get my hands on some tape and I’ll be sure to post pictures of my final product!! If you try it let me know how it turns out!!

3. Amria says:

Reblogged this on amriaa and commented:
    Since I don’t have a Saturday post for you, check out Kate’s marble nailart! I can never do this right, but she did a great tutorial to help us 😀

4. Notorious Beauty Blog says:

For Audrey is one of my favorite blue nail polishes 🙂 I turned 21 April 27th our birthdays are so close! I have tried to do this a couple times and I can never figure it out and it always looks so horrible when I pull my finger out haha I might have to try again though.

• kflowermaquillage says:

That’s awesome! 😀 yeah its such a nice colour. You should try it this way. It should work as long as you get rid of the excess polish before pulling your finger out 🙂

5. itsacathattack says:

Ooohh! I love this! I never do anything very fancy with my nails, but this is so pretty! I think I’m going to try it. I already know what colors I’m going to use. 🙂

6. llewsoba says:

I have tried it a few times, and have even employed the help of my husband. I can never get it right. I have started using a toothpick to get that “effect”. It seems to work pretty well.

Your’s looks great, love the colors!!

• kflowermaquillage says:

Thank you! The great thing is you can do it some so many colour combos! 🙂 you should definitely try it out.